Yes. I’m so cool. I work from home on my own clients. And when I started with my very first client, I was overwhelmed with pride and immediately made a list of all the great things about working from home. I also showed-off majorly to everyone who cared to listen. Most of the people in the Army don’t really understand and / or give a damn about ‘Digital Media’ and 'Social Media’, but I yapped endlessly about how awesome it is. Well, that was when I was new at it.
Yeah. That phase has thankfully passed me now, as a year later I have discovered the flip side to working from home. Well, I’m not really upset at the discoveries because you know, all things have a flip side (Why God Why!!). I’m just a bit disappointed because while I was working full time, I secretly had a major grudge against all those who worked as consultants, free from all evil things like a boss, office hours and office bitches (remember my office fat bitch who almost ruined my work-life? If not read this post here).
Hmm. So I’ve made two lists – the amazing and the terrible sides of working from home. Here we go:
The Terrible –
- You make your own coffee.
- No Gossip to take the stress of work away.
- You don’t get a feeling of achievement after spending 20 minutes in the washroom or at a coffee break.
- No satisfaction of making looooong phone calls from the work phone. Better still, the office land line.
- No fun in pretending your laptop has crashed, and taking data - backup is no more an excuse to loiter around.
- No one to blame your silly mistakes on (Damn).
- Considerable degradation of social skills.
- No more invitations to hot parties.
- No free goodies from Yahoo!, Google and the likes (This I really miss!)
The Amazing –
- There is no Office. NO - OFFICE! (Say it aloud once, its liberating!)
- No Office Politics for you to get unwillingly or stupidly involved in, like when you are innocently informing your colleague about how your bitch-of-a-supervisor is secretly having an affair with the overweight-and-arrogant-yet-cute AVP, and your super boss hears every word. Not your fault, I know - dangerous nonetheless.
- No Boss to boss you around. Suddenly you feel like you own the world.
- No waking up early OR not having to face your outraged boss for arriving late. (I have signed the office register in red pen a zillion times, I know how it feels)
- No dressing up – you can work in your cute red shorts and the power-puff girls faded Tee
- No traveling to the office
- Not getting traffucked on the roads
- No colleagues to interrupt your work (or your Facebook and YouTube session)
- Eating out reduced drastically, you eat healthier food.
- Sense of ownership. You are the boss of you!
- Pride. If the campaign / client does well, the glory is all yours!
There you go. Both sides of the coin. Now decide what do you want for yourself.